Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A learning situation I've encountered and the learning theories that applied

My best learning seems to occur outside of the normal classroom setting and framework. During my computer science undergrad schooling, we had the privilege of small class sizes and a framework where the same faculty and students participated in several related classes within our program. One common learning situation involved learning a concept in Discrete Mathematics, then applying it the Functional-Programming class, and then revisiting the very same concept in the Digital Logic class. Students revisited the concept several times throughout the day and week in different contexts. This behavior of switching contexts could count as an example of the Lateral Thinking Theory. Each week, the class’s curriculum would build on the previous teachings while integrating new ideas in the different class contexts. Because the faculty and students stayed together through the different classes throughout the year, the teachers would often ask questions and engage in an active dialogue while referring to concepts in another class. I found this approach to be effective in exploring and comprehending new ideas. Incorporating a concept with new contexts made learning an active process where we would initially struggle to construct new ideas based on our previous understanding of the concept and the core principals of the concepts would emerge. We would often gain new insight that went beyond what was taught. Of course, many of these principals are part of the Constructivist Theory. I believe that I shared a strong relationship with my faculty during this class/program, which played an active role in the quality of my work and the extent of my efforts to comprehend the material. I was often motivated to study was often because I really looked forward to maintaining a good relationship with my faculty and enjoy an informed discussion on the material. The good relationship also allowed me to feel comfortable in engaging in open discussions in the classroom in front of the rest of the class. I believe that the Attachment Theory is relevant here.

No comments:

Post a Comment